Sunday 13 December 2015

Sylvanian Lucia!


On the Sylvanian forum, bloem organized a swap, and not just any swap, but a Baby Ornament swap! I thought the idea was lovely, hanging your Sylvanians in your Christmas tree. I was paired up with the lovely bloem and since she said that she hoped that we could do this every year I decided to give her a little bit of a Swedish tradition. So I made her a Lucia!


I have never made anything in clay other than basic circles and I think it shows, but it looks good at a distance. The dress is painted because I can't sew at all! 

I am very happy about my wreath making, it's very easy to make, you just glue and dump glitter/grass on it and it turns out looking very cute!

Below is a little history of St. Lucia and how it's celebrated in Sweden from sweden.se. It is one of my favourite Christmas days. :)
The Lucia tradition can be traced back both to St Lucia of Syracuse, a martyr who died in 304, and to the Swedish legend of Lucia as Adam’s first wife. [...] In the old almanac, Lucia Night was the longest of the year. It was a dangerous night when supernatural beings were abroad and all animals could speak.
The real candles once used are now often battery-powered, but there is still a special atmosphere when the lights are dimmed and the sound of the children singing grows as they enter from an adjacent room.
 Merry Christmas all fellow Sylvanian collectors!

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was St Lucia when I saw bloem's photos :D I am interested in Nordic folklore and traditions, which stems from my interest in the Vikings, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like Nordic folklore, and Lucia has such a fun part in it. :) I am very happy Bloem liked it.

      Delete